I’ve decided to get rid of all of the traditional ad spots and try the Scratchback concept. See that widget on your right that says Are You In My TopSpots? That’s the new advertising concept here on Fam5. In essence, you are paying a TINY AMOUNT ($5.00) for a nofollowed link for an unspecified amount of time. What?? Is that crazy? Well, yes it is, but it’s also pretty cool. Here’s why.
- You “tip” me a teeny-tiny bit ($5), and you get something in return for your tip – a link.
- This is like you scratching my back (the tip) and me scratching yours (the link).
- This is sort of like you making a donation, but you get a nice little benefit for it.
- You get the opportunity to display a text link, plus a custom message on mouseover.
- I can offer this kind of advertising for such a low price because of auto-bumping.
Whoa! What is auto-bumping? Auto-bump means that every time somebody new tips me, that person moves to the top of the TopSpot list. Example: Reader A is in the #1 spot, and Reader B tips me after Reader A, so Reader B moves into the top spot, pushing Reader A one spot down. This also means that eventually, Reader A will be pushed off the list completely. So, in essence you don’t know how long your $5.00 donation is buying you a link. It could be a few minutes, or it could be forever. So far, the average link has been listed for at least a few days, some quite a bit longer than that.
Please note that these “tips” are just like real tips in that they are non-refundable. I’ve got the option set so that I have to approve listings before they are shown, and if I do not approve it, you don’t get your $5 back. Sorry, but that’s just the way the system works. Now, keep in mind that I plan to approve anything that is reasonable. I won’t approve the standard things that no one else approves (porn, etc.). But hey, if you want to show your mortgage link, or your affiliate link, or anything that I don’t consider offensive, I’ll most likely approve it.
Visitors are generally interested in technology, gadgets, reviews, and general ramblings. Your tip ad will be shown on all pages.